SoulCalibur is world-wide phenomena. It is played everywhere including South America, which hosts several strong scenes. One of those is in Brazil, from where hails today’s guest – MdT|Shennou.
If you had to introduce yourself in three sentences to some SoulCalibur player who didn’t know you, what would you say?
- Hello, I’m Shennou! I’m a Fighting games player from Brazil!
- I’m a member of MdT Team, a Fighting Games team and Moderator of Soul Calibur Brasil.
- Hey, let’s play some SC!
What is the origin or meaning of your nickname?
This story is long hahaha. In short, it was a modification in Xenon (Xe 54) that I made to pair with an ex girlfriend who used another modification of something related to Chemistry.
How did it happened you end up playing fighting games?
I’ve always been passionate about martial arts. When I was 4 years old, I won my first fighting game (Street Fighter Alpha 3) and has since become my favorite genre. Then, at 6, I’d play Tekken 3 and fell in love with 3D fighting games. In 2013, I started playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 online and met some players from the competitive scene. I was interested in learning more. I started training really to play Tekken 7 tournaments in 2017, but I only played my first tournament in 2018.
Who do you main in SC6 and why?
Kilik. He is the character with whom I have the most affinity, both in design and in gameplay, just like Hwang. However, Kilik was my first main on my first Soul Calibur (SC2 for PS2) so I main him at nowdays.
What is your opinion regarding SC6?
I have a divided opinion about SC6. While I think the game is more beautiful and with the best cast in the franchise, I don’t think the game has a good balance and I didn’t like Reversal Edge. I prefer a game with less mechanics and more dependent on fundamentals like Soul Calibur 2 and more technical like Soul Calibur 4. By the way, I think that SC6 is a fun game.
If you could change one single thing about SC6 what would that be?
Between the netcode delay, changing all the new mechanics for Soul Calibur 5’s Brave Edge and reviewing the game’s balance, I believe I would change the netcode delay to the netcode rollback.
What you consider to be your greatest SC6 achievement and why?
This was definitely the most difficult question I had to answer hahaha. There were three events that marked me a lot during the time I’ve played SC6:
- First, it was at Fight In Rio, which was the most difficult offline tournament I played, as there were not many players but everyone was good, where I managed to reach the top 3 in a Major event in Brazil
- Second, it was the regional offline tournament, called Beer Reversal, which took place in Rio de Janeiro, where I am from, before COVID-19. All the state’s reference players were there. I won this tournament for Winners Brackets
- Third, it was the invitation to participate in the South American bracket at Soul Calibur Without Borders, an invitational tournament. It really was an indescribable feeling
All of the above events have their importance and I cannot choose between the three. However, what I consider to be my greatest achievement, despite not being in SC6, was what SC6 gave me: friendships within my country and outside of it. This was the best gift that the SC6 gave me.
Please answer a single question that you were not asked but you would like to answer!
I would love to have SC3 Arcade Edition HD for the new generation of video games.
Thank you for the interview!